Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2011: Further Review

Alright, 2011 was so awesome that it had to be broken up into two blog posts.  Here's the rest of the awesomeness:

On July 3 my dear friend Caitlin got married, and I got to be a maid of honor along with (the other) Caitlin.  The three of us go way back...to elementary school times...and we're part of an exclusive club called the Chocoholics Anonymous.  It's been so fun to grow up together and see now where our 20s are taking us!

The wedding was at Vintage Villas in Austin - gorgeous!  McGuire and I hosted a bachelorette party / lingerie shower on the Thursday right before the wedding:


Also part of the weekend's events - a bridesmaids' luncheon:


And bouquet/centerpiece construction, headed up by our flower pro, McGuire:


Cait was a stunning bride!  Loved her choice of colors, too!

 We are sisters...you are the thumb.


Another fun summer event: Brad and I made our way down to Port O'Connor for the annual Simon-Frederick family reunion.

On our fishing trip, I caught a big ol' speckled trout!  Woo!



At the end of July, Brad and I moved from Waco to Temple (he's had to move on his birthday for two years in a row!)  Once we were settled in there, transportation became so much easier.  It's 8 minutes from our apartment to Scott & White...as opposed to the 45 minute trip I made 4X a day in the spring!  Wedding plans continued as summer was winding down, and I also went to Miami for the Joint Statistical Meetings.  This is a huge gathering of statisticians that happens every year, and those of us coming out of our third year in the stats department are expected to attend, present at least a poster, and start interviewing.  I presented a poster over my dissertation research:


Note the nerd glasses.  I didn't just wear those to look extra-nerdy...for most of the summer I was having major eye issues (tearing up, vision going blurry and then getting clear again throughout the day) and after 5 doctor's appointments and probably 5 diagnoses, they determined that I had ocular rosacea.  I thought rosacea only applied to the skin, but I guess I was wrong!  Eventually it cleared up with meds, but in the meantime I spent most of the summer in my nerd glasses.

Aside from the conference, we managed to have some fun in Miami, going to the beach and trying out some local restaurants:


I had about 8 interviews set up during the conference...interviewing all day with various companies is quite an experience...and tiring.  I'm glad I made the effort, though, because the company I am going to work for started out the process by interviewing me here!

And then, it was fall...a very busy fall indeed.  It was the first fall since I was about 5 years old that I didn't go "back to school"...since I finished up my coursework with my program in the spring/summer, my only tasks were to work on my dissertation and work part-time in the research office at Scott & White for my assistantship.  It was really, really great to not be in classes.  It was also really, really hard to keep myself on track with my dissertation, without those natural deadlines that come with coursework!

Fall was also full of Baylor football.  Brad and I made it to every home game, and it was an "unbelievably believable" season.  So proud of my bears.

 Baylor Line


 Teri and Brad

 The Texas game was rainy!

Chatted with Baylor President Ken Starr before the Texas game!


Other fun fall events: We went to Rockport for Brad's annual family reunion...we drove there AFTER Baylor beat TCU - got in to Rockport around 5 am.  Going to the game was so worth it, but that drive was not super.


With Brad's cousin Kirby...I was still rocking the nerd glasses at this point.


I was blessed with two different wedding showers during the fall, as well as a "ladies' luncheon".  The Caitlins (my matron and maid of honor) hosted the first shower along with my mom's friend Jill, and my aunt Sharon hosted the second one - a couples' shower!

 Kitchen shower in Austin

 Sweet hostesses of the kitchen shower

 Dallas couples' shower: Sharon got a taco truck!

 We had fun opening presents, including this great Baylor blanket!


Brunch with Dad's side of the family the morning after the shower


And of course...there was the wedding on November 12!  As I mentioned before, it was everything I could have hoped for.  Beautiful ceremony and a fun reception that had guests dancing all night.  The pro pics have come in from our talented photographer Megan Smith, so I'll post just a few :)

















Whew!  Such an amazing day.  We wrapped up 2011 with our first Christmas as a married couple (I touched on Christmas in a previous post!) and ringing in the new year at home in Temple, just the two of us!  2011 was really great overall, with a few curveballs thrown in there.  Can't wait to see what 2012 has in store.  Hopefully the world doesn't end ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment