Tuesday, January 17, 2012

So far in 2012

Last weekend we went to a season-ending pep rally for the Baylor football team.  We got to hear from Art Briles and Robert Griffin (who sadly decided to go pro this year), among others.  The highlight was getting to take a pic with the Alamo Bowl trophy and the Heisman:


Oh, and I guess I forgot to blog about the Alamo Bowl!  We rode down with Teri and Jared, and met up with Steve in San Antonio along with Dave and a bunch of his friends.  Much of the game was stressful but those amazing Baylor Bears pulled through in the end!  It was so exciting.

Balloons, fireworks and confetti after the awards presentation


Luckily Brad got the next day off (they didn't want to give it to him, and said it was breaking the rules of PTO, but they gave in!)  Teri, Jared, Brad and I spent the day on the Riverwalk.  We had a lot of fun - and Brad and I had never been to SA together, so there's one thing off the checklist!


In other news, the company I'm going to work for in New York contacted me last week to say my security clearance went through.  It was a long process (they were calling me and friends/family the week before the wedding to verify everything in the background check!) but I'm glad that step is completed.  The job is contingent on me having the Ph.D., so that's a MAJOR step to get done between now and then.  Met with my advisor last week and he said "if I were you, and I knew everything that needed to get accomplished between now and May, I would be putting in 60-70 hour weeks".  Yikes.  I know I'll get it done, but I'll need to work some long days (and probably not spend a couple hours blogging about 2011!)

I've been thinking a lot about the job and I'm really looking forward to getting this semester done so that we can make the move and get started on that next phase of our lives!  Of course, I'm nervous about doing well at the job...but I guess it's far too early to stress out about that :)  Now that the security clearance went through, they've set a start date for me: July 2!  Exciting times...time to get back to dissertatin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment