Sunday, February 9, 2014

We're Having a Baby!

So, the biggest update since my months-long hiatus is that Brad and I are expecting :)  Our baby bear is due July 1st.  We found out toward the end of October, and kept it a secret for maybe just a week or two, then told our family and friends.  Close to Christmas time we posted our Facebook announcement:


and it's all very exciting!  Here's baby's latest snapshot, taken at 12 weeks.


I'm now at 19 weeks and 4 days, so of course he or she has grown quite a bit since this pic!  We'll get another set of pictures on Friday, where we'll find out exactly if we have a "he" or "she" :)  (assuming baby isn't camera shy!)

My first trimester...was rough.  Right around the day we started sharing our news with everyone (8 weeks or so), the morning sickness hit.  It continued, every single morning (often rearing its ugly head in the evening too, and a couple of terrible throw-up-at-work days).  At my 12 week appointment, right before I went to Texas for Christmas, they prescribed this magical thing called Diclegis.  That helped a TON, though I still had plenty of sick moments and generally feeling nauseated during the holidays.  Shout out to my mom for taking such great care of me, keeping the "only snacks that are appetizing right now" in stock, putting cold compresses on my head, baking all of the cookies for our traditional cookie trays since I was laid up with nausea and a terrible cough.  She's an angel!  And a great inspiration for me as a future momma :)

By the time I came back and went back to work, the nausea was easing a little but I still had some late mornings (luckily my manager is very understanding and I have a nice "medical time off" bank of hours to use).  By Week 17, I wasn't throwing up in the mornings anymore and decided to try going off the Diclegis, to see if I could still be okay without the meds.  And it worked!  Just one random morning sickness this week, otherwise it's been smooth sailing and I've felt much better in general.  Haven't really been affected by some of the other stuff, like fatigue (even in first trimester I was never super tired), and no major aches/pains yet (I know that's coming!)

In the first trimester I craved all things cheesy: Chee-tos, Cheezits, cheese sticks, macaroni & cheese.  Now I'm mostly craving spicy foods.  Last week we had a date night to get fried pickles and hot wings, and I was in  heaven!

I've been going to a prenatal yoga class, which is great.  Never really took yoga regularly (just a few classes through the Bearobics program at Baylor here and there) but it's so relaxing and feels so good to stretch.

Around week 17.5 I started feeling internal "flutters", enough for me to think it wasn't just...other bodily functions, haha.  This Tuesday (my 19 week mark) I was laying down, feeling the flutters and put my hand on my belly.  I was surprised to feel a little jab come up to meet my hand!  First time feeling it from the outside...Brad was right there and put his hand on my belly, and he felt the baby a couple of times!  What a neat experience.  Right now it's "friendly flutters" and just a cool feeling, I know soon it'll be more strange and painful jabs, haha.  And we do seem to have an active little one!

We haven't really started on the nursery (which will be the second bedroom here in the apartment - probably another year of apartment living before we start house hunting).  I'm sure I'll be full speed ahead after we find out the gender on Friday!  I'm flying down to Texas again the weekend of March 28 for baby showers, and Jenna and Brianna have graciously offered to throw one here as well!  Baby D will definitely be showered with love.

So, I think I've covered the basics on this lovely journey thus far, now a slew of bump pictures!  (I only started at Week 15)

15 Weeks


16 Weeks

17 Weeks

18 Weeks (did my bump shrink?)


19 Weeks (nope, hey, there it is)


I'll hopefully check in weekly with more bump pictures and how things are going (and of course, next week, the Big Gender Reveal).  Of course, knowing my blogging track record I know you won't anticipate much :)


No comments:

Post a Comment