Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Happy Accident

So Brad has been needing a desk for when he starts grad school, and I found one on the employee "trading post" at work.  We went to go buy it from the guy yesterday and brought it back in Brad's truck.  I was dreading getting it up our narrow staircase, but since we don't have any big strong guy friends up here, it was going to be a necessary evil.

So we got back home, went upstairs to clear out a path for the beastly desk, and came back out to get it from the truck.  Got it to the front door (I was already struggling) and...realized I had locked us out  (didn't turn the doorknob lock out, and the keys were inside!)  So there we were, a huge desk waiting outside of our apartment, 7 pm so the front office was closed.  And I didn't have the "after-hours" number on me...that was inside, too...

I had met our downstairs-neighbor, Kim, one time in passing.  She had seemed really nice, so I hoped she would be willing to help us out!  Knocked on the door and asked if they had the paperwork with the after-hours phone number on it.  Turns out her husband, Matt, has been at this complex for 6 years.  So he didn't know where the paperwork was, but I guess he had some phone numbers saved...came back out and told us someone was on their way!  He called 4 different phone numbers for us, till he got a guy who was actually in the complex at the pool.  That guy came straightaway, I was thinking about how we would pay the $50 unlocking fee, and the guy said "technically I'm supposed to charge you 50 bucks for this, but eh, here you go."  What a relief.

Then it got more awesome because Matt offered to help Brad get the desk upstairs.  Yesss.  They got it up there with (I think) not too much difficulty, while I chatted with Kim a little more.  I will be paying them soon in baked goods!

So, a dreadful moment (locking ourselves out) turned into a happy accident...we got to meet the neighbors and talk with them a little more, and I didn't have to attempt to lift a behemoth desk!

Kim and Matt seem really nice...we're happy to have good neighbors :)

No comments:

Post a Comment